Wednesday, May 27, 2009

kittens and chocolate and mead oh my...



Today already feels busy and its only begun. First i must report on Aspen's integration into our horde of furry family members. He bonded with his half-brother Thorn yesterday and Thorn allowed him to play with his paws and ears, but when Aspen chomped down on his tail, Thorn swiftly sandwiched the kitten between his paws and hissed and stared him down , hissed again and let him go. Aspen then just curled up next to Thorn and passed out. Squishy is currently on a hunger strike, boycotting the house and ignoring us over the existence of a new kitten. Sparki loves Aspen, and i awoke this morning to Sparkles laying in between me and Shevy and Aspen nuzzled up to Sparki. He's so gentle with the kitten its kind of sick. And he's not even six months yet, i figured that he might be too rough with a baby kitty since he's still a baby too, and may not know his own size or strength, but i was totally wrong.

So we hav
e a lot of little things to do today, including running into Ramah to mail a book we just sold on amazon. I hope the bread machine Sheves got me comes in soon, i can't wait to start making fresh bread everyday. Oh Shevy made his first attempt at chocolates with his new recipe from cocoa powder last night. It seems to be hard to get the mixture hot enough at this altitude to get to hard candy bar like stage, but he definitely learned from it. I think they're kind of like caramels consistency right now, but he'll try again . They taste amazing! Organic cocoa powder is the way to go, it almost tastes like coffee. Speaking of homemade stuff, i am still on a quest to find a good cherry mead recipe. Some of our neighbors brought us a huge box of fresh cherries and said make us some mead and beer. So now i have 15lbs. of frozen pitted cherries, but i can't find a good cherry to honey to water ratio. Also I'm kind of nervous about it because my neighbor Dreamy, who has made more mead than i have, has used cherries before and found them to be quite volatile, and i don't want to blow all my bottles and lose all the yummy mead. I may have to make another appeal to the gods for help on this one. Frey has helped me out with two recipes so far, and they were my best batches to date. I want to try something like a cherry ginger mead, and a cherry lime beer. The beer i know how to do, but the mead is the troublesome one.

It is cloudy again and we have another day of high chance of rain. Its nice but just odd and it makes me feel uneasy. I'm worried that the monsoon rains are coming early which might mean we will have a dry July and August, which is bad for the gardens and trees. This is supposed to be the hottest and driest time of year right now and instead it cool and humid (humid being 40 to 50 %). I think my hope and wish for climate change to kill off the no see'ems might b
e coming true. We'll see though, after June comes and goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment