Saturday, May 23, 2009

Thor and a dream i had

I originally wrote this back in April and had it posted to my paganspace blog, but its easier to keep track of one blog so i stuck it here.

I have been drawn to Thor and the northern tradition in general, in many small ways all through my life, but until about six months ago i had not yet embraced my spiritual path. Since last Oct. my partner and i have been intensely studying the norse gods and the lore and anything else related that we can get our hands on. From the start of our recent knowledge consumption, i knew Thor was my patron and i do all i can to honor him in the things i say and the way i live. Well, i try to honor all the gods really, but Thor feels special to me and i can't really explain the feeling. When i meditate sometimes and when i am thinking of him i am filled with warmth and a feeling of great peace and jolliness, like playing music and drinking beer with my brothers and close friends that i haven't seen in a long time. To me, Thor seems to have the energy of an awesome older brother who's looking out for me, and all that i love and care for and protect.

So a few weeks ago, just before my birthday i had this dream that has very clearly stuck with me since. I should start by saying the afternoon before the night i had this dream my hands and arms kept feeling numb and tingly, like they were falling asleep, but i wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary, and the feeling wouldn't go away no matter what i did to try to stop it. The first part of the dream wasn't that exciting, i was wandering through the streets of my home town with my 3 month old puppy sparki following me (like he does in my waking life right now). I don't remember heading for anywhere in particular or looking for anything or anyone. I came upon my old high school and briefly walked through the halls. I didn't recognize anyone there, and it looked different than my memories of it, as if i was seeing it now in 2009 instead of 1998 when i was last there. I went through a side door and out to a covered sidewalk that lead to the band and choir halls where i spent a lot of time in the past. After only walking a little ways down this sidewalk i noticed the wind was cold and the sky was dark with the energy of a coming storm. A voice from a figure that i didn't see further down the sidewalk was calling out for everyone to get indoors because of a tornado warning. I paused at hearing this and started to consider going back inside, but then a flash of white, i saw the bolt come from the sky and it was heading horizontally towards me and i stood still because i knew it was meant to hit me. It struck my chest andcame out through my right arm and the palm of my hand. It knocked me to the ground, but i was unhurt except for some blackness on my hand where it left me. I looked around me as i was now on the ground and somehow there were wooden runes scattered around me as if i had been carrying them and dropped them when the lightning struck. I didn't notice any specific ones, but i started picking them up. (I'm nearly blind in waking life and also in my dreams, so that's why i didn't see which ones had scattered at a glance) I don't carry runes around with me and i am only just starting to learn about them. In the last part of the dream, i was getting up from the ground and looking to see if my puppy was alright and he was fine. I woke up then and was so overwhelmed with different feelings that i woke up my partner and told him about it. I then noticed that the tingly feeling in my hands and arms was gone and it was still there when i had fallen asleep. He informed me that people say right before they get struck by lightning or if it strikes really near by, they report feeling tingly.
I'm still pondering over the exact meaning of the dream. My partner thinks i was marked by Thor in some way. I can't really argue with that. Since the dream i have overall been more energetic and i feel intensely driven to do the thing i set out to do, such as working on new projects on our land, my gardens, and my spiritual path. I've been thinking a lot on Thor and all that he stands for and in the past week or so i have been focusing on sacrifice and thinking on Freyr as well. I still am not sure what the runes in he dream stand for. It still seems odd that they scattered when i fell, but they are important somehow, it just hasn't been revealed to me yet. I feel that my confidence and faith in the gods is stronger now, as well as my connection to Thor.

1 comment:

  1. Touched by the storm god...

    According to the People of Turtle Island, the Thunderbirds are among the most sacred. They are bringers of rain and fire, necessary and benevolent, but also bringers of storms and destruction. They beat thunder from their wings and flash lightning from their eyes but cannot be seen through the masses of dark roiling clouds they ride in. Lame Deer says this:

    "These Thunderbirds are part of the Great Spirit. Theirs is about the greatest power in the whole universe. It is the power of the hot and the cold clashing above the clouds. It is blue lightning from the sun. It is like atomic power. The thunder power protects and destroys. It is good and bad; the great winged power. We draw the lightning as a forked zigzag, because lightning branches out into a good and bad part... In our Indian belief, the clown has a power which comes from the thunder beings, not from the animals or the Earth. He has more power than the atom bomb, he could blow off the dome of the Capitol. Being a clown gives you honor, but also shame. It brings you power, but you have to pay for it."

    ReplyDelete